Question
Posted by: Mom | 2011/09/21

Eating after birth

I had a baby 3 months ago. I was very over-weight before my pregnancy (115kg) and during my pregnancy had bad morning sickness and then everything I ate didn''t taste nice, and I lost 15kg (supervised by my gynae). Now after the birth, I just can''t stop eating (baby ob bottle). I haven''t weighed myself, but I can feel that I''ve picked up weight again. Please advise how I can control my eating (I eat even when I''m not hungry).

Dear Mom
Congratulations on the birth of your baby. If you have an uncontrollable urge to eat all the time even when you are not hungry then I would recommend that you ask your gynae to do 2 things: 1) Send you to an Endocrinologist (a doctor who specialises in hormone disturbances) so that he/she can check if your constant hunger and resultant obesity are due to an underlying physical problem; 2) Arrange for you to be evaluated by a clinical psychologist to find out if your constant eating has a psychological origin - eating for comfort, eating to suppress anger or anxiety or because of depression. Once you have a diagnosis, your future treatment can then be undertaken by either one or both of these experts. If you suffer from insulin problems it will also be essential to consult a registered dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area), so that you can be assisted with the correct diet to lose weight. If you are eating to satisfy some underlying psychological problem, then you will first need counselling and therapy to address the underlying problem before a diet will work for you.
Holding thumbs that you will at last be able to lose that weight.

1

Dear Mom