Posted by: Confused | 2009-09-15

Eating after a workout

I am trying to loose weight. I do 2 cardio session a week, one weight session and one session focusing on my lower body - lunges, quats, steps, etc. Cardio sessions basically compose of running 30 - 45 min. Each session I end off with 10 min of abs. How long after each session do I have to consume a meal? As some information says I have to wait 40 min at least others encourage eating soon after a workout? Please advise

Hi Confused

There was a study published last year where it was found that if you delay that meal for an hour, the weight loss result is better. It has to do with insulin levels and how your body uses fat compared to carbs. It's preliminary, and needs to be backed up by future research, so I'd be cautious about taking it as proven truth. So my advice would be to eat an hour after training. But make sure you eat the right amounts of foods, and also the right types. For that, a dietician is definitely more qualified than I am to advise you.

However, in terms of timing, later seems better. But that does not mean eat nothing, since that would be equally bad!