Question
Posted by: Ann | 2009/11/10

Eat when hungry

Hi doc, I was reading your article no. 133 about secret of weight lost revealed. If you eat only when you really hungry, will this not slow down your metabolism? I heared that it you eat every 2 to 3 hours your metabolism will never slow down.
Please advise.
God bless

Dear Ann
Both facts are actually correct. Research has shown that 'nibblers' who eat 6 small, healthy low-fat meals a day tend to be slimmer than 'gorgers' who eat 3 large meals a day. However, the emphasis is on healthy and low-fat and low-energy food if you are a nibbler. It will not help to eat fatty, high-energy food all day long. Many individuals also tend to eat because of what are know as 'external cues' - for example, time of day. When it is lunchtime they eat a large meal even if they are not really hungry. In such a case eating a small, healthy snack would be more productive.

2
Posted by: Kimmi | 2009/11/10

Hi Ann!
I eat every 3 hours and have been doing so for the last month. (eg. 7, 10, 1, 4 and 7). I now find that because my body is so used to the routine, I generally am hungry every 3 hours. Also, remember that portion sizes are important so its not 3 BIG meals and 2 small snacks, otherwise you will get hungry before the 2nd and 3rd " meal"  as the snacks will not full you up. I try to eat equal portions 5 times s day and live on the ' never hungry, never full'  principle. Which is not to say I am never satisfied as I love my food :)

Reply to Kimmi

Dear Ann