Posted by: Bronwynn | 2009-09-07

Easily startled and swopping words when speaking

Hi, I am easily startled by noises, and visibly shaken by loud ones, i.e. something falling, crashing, hooting etc. This frightens me so much that my heart beats faster and I feel like my whole body is shaking with my fingers actually trembling.
The other thing thats happended after a motor vehicle accident in 2003, I start swopping words around in my sentences and some of the letters like instead of saying : put a cup of cat food in the bowl, i say put a cut of cap food in the bowl. It is becoming more and more frequent, and my children laugh and think i am being funny, but I know better... what is going on? I am quite scared. I went to see a neuropsychologist about three years ago and spoke about it, but she could find any evidence of it. This is quite embarassing. any ideas?

This can be within the range of normal, or may be an expression of an anxiety disorder, in which one is more jumpy and irritable and easily startled. Sometimes after a car acident, either due to a head injury like concussion,. or fromt he psychological shock, one might develop later symptoms including an increased startle response such as you describe. A psychiatrist's careful assessment might shed light on this