Question
Posted by: WL | 2010/07/22

Eary Boerboel

Hi there doc!
I have a 3 jear old boerboel bitch who suffers from a bad case of ear infection. Ive had her at a local vet who sedated her and washed her ears out and gave me after care medicine to treat this at one helluva price. Problem is that she weighs in at about 50Kg''s and would not have me or my wife treat her. She isnt aggresive but we both cannot hold her down in order to treat her. I also do not have the finances to take her to the vet once a week for the sedation process.Please help as this is going to become a serious issue!

Hi WL

All you can do is make the ear cleaning a positive experience. Initially touch the ear without trying to medicate the ear and at the same time give a positive reward such as a treat...this is going to take a period of time before you can eventually put the medication in.

The other thing that you should note is that the ears are probably painful and it might be advisable for the clinician to give you some pain relief...this will cost extra. In addition it might be a good idea to put on prednisolone / antihistamine to reduce the inflammation

Generally the most important thing is to constantly check the ears to see if they are dirty before the development of clinical signs. Ear problems can be associated with skin allergies such as food anditmight be a good idea to put your dog on a novel protein diet for 10 weeks to see if there is an improvement.
Eventually you should clean the ears on a regular basis with a good quality ear cleaner - I use Epiotic/Otoclean..it appears to give the best results.

I hope this is helpfull

1
Posted by: CyberVet | 2010/07/22

Hi WL

I hope this is helpfull

Reply to CyberVet