Question
Posted by: Maggie | 2011-01-07

Ears popping/ " crackling" 

Hi Doc,

I have been sick for the last week and I’ m not quite sure with what (my throat is itchy most of the time which makes me think it may be a mild case of laryngitis) but my cough is slightly wet and yesterday my lung hurt when I coughed which makes me think that it also might be a mild case of bronchitis. I am feeling a bit better everyday so I’ m not too concerned about it. What I am concerned about is that when I blow my nose, my ears pop and during the day they “ crackle”  when I swallow and yawn and that kind of thing. I know the throat, nose and ears are connected so can I assume that my ears will clear up when I’ m fully better? Is there anything I can use to clear my ears?

Maggie

You are most likely suffering from sinusitis with congestion of the sinusses, which in turn is causing the symptoms in your ears. I suggest that you consult a doctor for treatment and if needed, a course of antibiotics.