Question
Posted by: B | 2010/03/15

Ears and tonsils

Doc, my 6 year old has had 6 sets of grommets. The last set was t-tubes and they have been in for almost a year. During this time he has had at least 4 episodes of smelly discharge from the ear. We use special drops then. He now again has this odd smell and his ears are completely blocked up with a sticky smelly ooze. His adenoids ave been removed. He has had 2 bouts of tonsillitis this year.

My ENT recommended that we see him by June to remove the t-tubes if they have not fallen out. My son has just fiished his antibiotic for his tonsilitis on Friday. (Perscribed by GP). Do you think I need to go back to the ENT sooner and should we be discussing a tonsillectomy?

Expert ImagezENT Expert

Dear B

The possibility is that the tonsils are indeed contributing to the problem, so it would be a good idea to see your ENT earlier. He knows your son's history, and together you should discuss the way forward.