Question
Posted by: Sue | 2012-11-12

Ears

Hi Doc,

My 12 year old daughterahs something going on with her ears. She''ll tel lme her ear itches, and when she rubs on the outside of the ear, she notices that she has a watery / bloody discharge from her ear. This happens to both ears (although on seperate occasions). She says she hasn''t been fiddling with earbuds in her ear etc.

What can this be? I will take her to our GP, but I just wondered how urgent this is.

many thanks

Sue

She most likely has a bacterial or yeast infection of the outer ear. it is important to consult your GP for a swab of the discharge, in order to make a proper diagnosis. Rather consult the doctor sooner than later, as the infection can spread to the surrounding area and middle ear.