Posted by: jenny | 2010-04-19

About 3 weeks ago I had sharp pains in my ear shooting down into my jaw and neck, I went to the clinic and was given penicillin, I took the entire course and it went away completely. Now 2 weeks later it''s back, in the interim I have had flu, do I need another antibiotic? please help

Expert ImagezENT Expert

Dear Jenny

It is impossible to predict whether you need antibiotics without an examination, but if the cause is different from the last, it may be necessary. It all depends on the diagnosis, as in general a viral cause, such as the flu, does not require this. Ear ache may also be due to a cause other than the ear, called referred earache (otalgia). It would be advisable to have another examination to establish the need for antibiotics. Generally this is not the case in a viral infection, but only a thorough examination and history will decide this.