Posted by: Tinky | 2010-07-05

Hi there,

I''ve just moved to middle of Cape Town and the noise is driving me crazy!!!!

I bought foam earplugs but they are not comfortable.

The strangest advice was given to me by a chemist to buy clear silicone and insert that into the ear - wait for it to dry - it will take the shape of your ear.... which I did - but the only silicone I could find was one for the bathroom....

After the final product came out of my ear (my left ear canal is a lot smaller than the right) I dipped it in a bit of vaseline and last night I slept like a baby - did not hear a thing.

But surely this kind of silicone cannot be good for your skin and can be toxic??

What do you suggest I get - I like the idea of the plugs moulding into the ear - also I just nipped the ends of slightly as that it does not press on the inside of my ear so much.

Please advise

Expert ImagezENT Expert

Dear Tinky

You should never put anything into the earcanal if you do not have an idea as to the shape of the canal ,or the position of the tympanic membrane. For a safer, longterm solution you should see an Audiologist, as they are able to make a professional mould of the ear canal, and have plugs made to fit your ears perfectly. It works on the same basis as making the ear pieces for hearing aids. The materials used have been tested for years, and have proven to be safe in the long term.
Special materials may also be used if allergic reactions are a possibility.