Question
Posted by: Shelley | 2011/04/05

Early stages of pregnancy

Dear GynaeDoc

We found out over the weekend that I am pregnant with our first child. We are very excited but also every uninformed. My blood test showed a hormone level of 195.6 - what does that indicate on weeks as we never went to the GP we went straight to the blood lab after the home test showed positive. My first gynae visit is in May and I would like to know what type of vitamin/supplements I can start taking?
Accordingly to our calculation I must be about 2 weeks - am I correct in saying that with my level being 195.6?

Thank you for your advice.

The blood test is not an accurate way of working out how far pregnant you are. If you have just missed a period, this would fit in. You should take folic acid. That is the most important thing at this stage.

2

Posted by: Rosemary | 2011/04/05

Hi Shelly, I found out at 4 weeks (counting from first day of last menstrual cycle) which means that you are actually 2 weeks pregnant. So, at 4 weeks, my count was a mere 66 which meant it was very early days. It would be best to have the results sent to your gynae as my dr was the one to tell me how far along I was over the phone when I made the appointment. Also, on my blood result test (done at pathcare) they indicated at the bottom of the results what your typical count should be during the particular week to give you an indication of how far along you are. I am now 16 weeks and baby is very healthy. I am taking Preg Omega, which is an all in one supplement for before, during and after pregnancy and I''m very happy with it. Taking folic acid as soon as possible is vital, your prenatal vits contain folic acid. Congrats to you and your husband! Wishing you all the best!

Reply to Rosemary