Posted by: Karen | 2011-03-30

Ear wax

I have perforated ear drums. After numerous attempts with different ENT specialist using different techniques, the wholes stay put. My ear canal is very narrow and my ears do not “ push”  out the wax like the average person. I was also told not to use ear buds as it just makes the problem worse. I find that there will be a wax build up and I have to go to the ENT every 6 months to have the wax removed, but no lately it is becoming more frequent. I can’ t afford to go to the ENT every 2 months. What can I do?

Expert ImagezENT Expert

Dear Karen

Unfortunately you have anatomically narrow ear canals, making you prone to this problem. If you have perforations, you can not have the ears syringed, as this may damage your hearing. The more the wax is removed, the more the waxproduction is stimulated. The best way is to remove it with suctioning, or perhaps with a special type of waxhook if this is at all possible.
There is no other solution, so I suggest you try to come to an arrangement with your doctor about a special rate. It may or may not be possible.