Posted by: LO | 2011-03-30

ear problems for 3 year old

my son has an ear problem. i first recognised this when he did not allow us to touch his ear. i took him to the doctor (GP)who said he has an internal ear injury. he gave him ear drops which i was supposed to put in his ear for 7 days. after 2 days of using the drops, pus started coming out of his ear but the doctor said i must continue with the drops. the pus stopped a day or two after the 7 days. he mentioned that we should give the ear six weeks to heal. if the ear is not healed by then, my son will have to go to theatre. but now i''ve just been told by a friend that this might not be an injury but a disease which might be the reason why my son is still struggling with his speech development. as well. could this be true?

should i wait for the six weeks to lapse and see what the outcome will be or should i take him to a ENT specialist?

Expert ImagezENT Expert

Dear LO

I do get the impression that there may be an infective component at play. As the hearing is an issue, I agree with you that an ENT opinion would be helpful at this stage.