Posted by: Shirley | 2010-05-31

ear problems

Our dog french poodel is cratshing her ears specially at night, she has a back gland problem as well but its under controle, i am washing her ears twice a week and drying it well but still, what must i do iv''e spend thousends of rands on medisan but nothing works,

Hi Shirley<br> ;<br> ;I would advise that you take your dog to the vet and ask them to investigate what the problem is. <br> ;The problem can be multifactorial and may be due to a anatomical, parasitic, infectious or allergic aetiology. I would not advocate the use of an ear cleaner unless advised by the vet as you may augment the underlying pathology.

Posted by: Chill | 2010-05-31

Go and get some Otosol at the vet, and use that to clean the ears - GENTLY. It''s not very expensive. Do it every day for a few days, and if there is no improvement, the dog will probably need some ear drops - she probably has ear mites or something. The vet will have to check them out, in that case.

Do not ''wash'' the ears - there is a good chance you will be moving whatever the irritant is deeper into the ear canal. And above all, do NOT EVER poke anything down her ear - use a thin bit of cotton wool wrapped around your finger to clean the ears and do not go any deeper than your finger will go.

Reply to Chill