Posted by: MDee | 2010-06-19

Ear problem

Good day

My left ear has been troubling me. I have been to see my GP twice. The first diagnosis was an ear infection. I was treated with antiboitics. The second time he said it was my sinuses and has given me medication for that. That was 10 days ago.

The problem is that I am " hearing"  my blood flowing from my heart - eery! I know. And I also have a buzzing in the ear.

I don''t have a hearing problem at all, but it sounds though my ear is blocked, almost like the feeling when one is on an aircraft.

Can you please give me some advice on what next to do?

Expert ImagezENT Expert

Dear MDee

Your requires a full ENT examination of the ear and nasal area, as there are a few possible answers to your problem. It could be an infective process, that has not quite cleared up, or a problem with the eustachian tube, that has not completely resolved. This may need further management.
Another possibility is that of pulsitile tinnitus, which is the sensation of sound in the ear, caused by increased bloodflow to the area due to a variety of possibilities.
Your ENT will do a clinical examination, and may include an Audiogram (hearing test).