Posted by: H | 2011-02-07

Ear pressure

I have been put on Avamys spray (2 sprays each side for first 7 days and for the last week 1 spray in each side at night, and I am to stay on this for a month, however my ears still become quite painful at times. Does this mean the spray is not working or is it still too soon to tell. I don''t have an ear infection, but the pain sometimes wakes me up at night. Is these some other medication you can recommend to help (that can be used in combination with this Avamys? Thank you so much!

Expert ImagezENT Expert

Dear H

One can never suggest medication without examination of the patient. It is to soon to tell if the medication is effective or not, as that particular spray is a topical cortisone nasal spray, in such small dosis that it is practically not absorbed into the system. For that very reason one should try and give it an adequate chance, and one month should give you a clear indication if the teatment is succesfull. If the pain is getting worse, you should see your doctor sooner, as 50% of earache complaints originate in another area of the head and neck. This is called referred pain.