Posted by: kearabiloe | 2009-06-27

ear piercing and antibiotics

i am 18 years-old and concidering piercing my ears. does taking antibiotics such as allergex prior to the piercing-maybe weeks before, decrease my chance of having an infection?

here'  s my medical background:
1. i have a chronic quinsy
2 .i had severe acne that i had managed to heal lately
3. my ears usualy hurt (i think its because of the ENT infection)

have a great day!

Expert ImagezENT Expert

Dear Kearabiloe
Allergex is an anti-histamine and not an antibiotic and is used for allergies and not infections.
It is not recommended to take antibiotics before piercing your ears since it will not reduce your chance of an infection. Infection is prevented by using a reputable "piercer" and doing the piercing under sterile conditions.

It is unlikely that you have a chronic quinsy since a quinsy is a peritonsillar abscess which is a potentially life-threatening condition which needs immediate drainage and antibiotics. I would suggest seeing an ENT to exclude other tonsillar conditions or chronic tonsillitis.

Painful ears could be due to an infection or imflammation of the outer ear canal, tympanic membrane or middle ear or simply due to referred pain from tooth caries, jaw problems or a throat / tonsil infection or lesion. Chronic ear ache should be further investigated and I would suggest you see your GP or an ENT.

Posted by: kearabiloe | 2009-06-30

thanks, doc.

i have seen my GP at the begining of june and i had to spend two weeks at home and thats when he diagnosed me with quinsy.

yesterday he reffered me to an ENT specialist in town but he was out of town so i decided to check other specialist. i have a removal operation scheduled for the 14th of july.

my question is  how painful will the removal be and what precautions should i take. and also the type of food i should consume during the healing period.

Reply to kearabiloe