Question
Posted by: DeniseM | 2010-03-09

Ear Infections (Canal)

I have ear infection (canal) since Dec 09, I have being on 3 courses of antibotics and eventually went to see my ENT who told me I have what they call Swimmers Ear, he prescribed ear drops and told me to use it for 7 days which will clear the infection and by 3 weeks provided I did not touch the ear or get water in it will be fine, I have done everything and a 4 weeks later still using the ear drops which are almost finished, what else can I do to get this sorted out once and for all.

Expert ImagezENT Expert

Dear DeniseM

An outer ear infection (otitis externa) does not usually respond to systemic antibiotics. The eardrops your ENT prescribed should be the better option. If however there has not been a response, one should exclude the possibility of an infection resistant to the antibiotic drops already prescribed. To exclude /confirm this, you should visit your ENT for another look at the ear. It is also possible that you need an ointment to be put in the earcanal, in order to turn the infection oround. After such a prolonged treatment course, it is necessary to exclude a fungal infection.
The only way to do this would be with a follow up appointment and re-assessment.

1
Posted by: Denise | 2010-03-29

Thank you I have an another appointment this week hopefully he wll be able to sort it out.

Reply to Denise