Posted by: B | 2010-07-21

Ear Infections

My son is 3x years old and has had infections since he was a few months old. He has had 4 sets of grommets and still we have infections. We have changed ENT specialists around 5 times and all just prescribe antiobiotics and we end up with the same results or him getting a runny tummy etc. I don''t want to mention the finanial stress and emtional stress since we worried out of our minds.
He has pass running out of his ears and it smells terrible. What can be do, we have really tried to help him in this regard but I feel like it''s all failing?

Expert ImagezENT Expert

Dear B

Grommets are inserted to create ventilation of the middle ear cleft if conservative management (ie antibiotics) fail. Sometimes the problem of discharging ears occur, this may become problematic as in your sons case. The infection should be treated with topical antibiotic drops, after a pus swab has been taken to culture the causitive bacteria. This should be combined with cleaning of the ear canal (ear toilette) before the drops are instilled. If this fails, a multipurpose ointment such as Quadriderm could be used in the ear in order to combat the problem. The ear should be kept dry to prevent further problems.
It would also be helpful to see your paediatrician to exclude another systemic cause such as uncontrolled asthma or allergies, as this will prevent the ears from clearing.