Posted by: Seths mom | 2012-07-27

Ear infection and oral thrush - refusing to drink

My 10 month old weighs 10kg (but is very tall for his age) He has an ear infection and oral thrush - first time ever!

He is now on antibiotic (ear infection) and Nystacid (for thrush) as well as ponstan suppositories for pain and fever.

He usually drinks nearly 200ml watered down juice and at least 690ml formula during the day and he usually has at least 3 ultra wet nappies by 2pm. Now he wont drink at all and I have been having to use a syringe to give him cold watered down juice (he refuses the formula). It is now 6pm and he has had 2 wet nappies, 1st one wet but second one seemed to have nothing in it! He has also only had maybe 180ml to drink

I am really worried about dehydration - how can I get him to drink more and how much should I try to give every hour to ensure he stays hydrated? Is there a hydration solution I can give?

What can I do to help soothe his ear infection as well?

It is important not to give him juice, as this will irritate his mouth. I suggest that you give him Rehidrate (available at pharmacies) every four to six hours. You can give him Gaviscon with a syringe, to irrigate his mouth. The Gaviscon is excellent to take the severe irritation away and might improve his oral intake of fluids. The antibiotics should clear up the ear infection.