Question
Posted by: Shayne | 2011-07-26

Ear Infection

My dog has had an ear infection for around 2 years. I have taken her to the vet a few times and they keep giving me the same thing over and over. (Ear Drops and a solution to clean her ears)

Even when I clean her ears daily and use the drops, after a few days of these running out, she is back to square one.

Is there not an anti-biotic or something I can use that will clear this up for good?

Hi Shayne

You need to have a discussion with your veterinarian and ask them what investigations and treatment protocols are available to identify and subsequently treat your animal’s chronic otitis externa. Antibiotics may not be sufficient to cure the problem as there may also be other physical/environmental/infectious factors.

Please note that you may not be able to totally alleviate the problem as some of these conditions are multifactorial.

If your vet does not have the time to explain the issue at hand then I would suggest that you seek a second opinion.

Kind Regards
Angus Campbell

2
Posted by: CyberVet | 2011-07-28

Hi Shayne

Kind Regards
Angus Campbell

Reply to CyberVet
Posted by: Chill | 2011-07-26

You''re caught in a vicious circle, it seems that you stop the treatment too early, and by now the bacteria have become resistant to the treatment.

You don''t say what breed your dog is - dogs with hanging ears do tend to have more chronic infections than dogs with upright ears - the closed, airless ear chambers of the former create an ideal environment for bacterial survival. Sometimes surgery is required to open up the ear canal - this isn''t uncommon.

I don''t know which products you''ve been using, so it''s hard to recommend another. What I would do is go and have a serious talk to your vet, and tell him that you want to take this to the next level - if necessary, request a referral to a specialist. Whatever is recommended, continue treating the ears for several weeks after every single symptom has cleared - that''s the only way to clean it up completely.

Reply to Chill