Posted by: Jacs | 2011-02-07

Ear Echo - urgent!!

I had a very bad cold in May 2009 and had a echo in my ears, like i was under water, i can hear myself breathe loudly. I was told it was fluid on the ear and was given stuff to sort it out. I have been battling this for a long time now. I had my wisdom teeth removed and hoped it might come right, but worse - both my ears have the echo thing happening and it''s terrible, it was only effecting my left ear in the mornings, but not now - please advise what it could be and should i go see a dr.?

Expert ImagezENT Expert

Dear Jacs

You should consult your doctor, as it is possible that the fluid behind the eardrum has persisted. This may either require another course of treatment, or the possibility of placement of grommets could be suggested. All of this would of course depend on the current status of your ears, so I do suggest you see your ENT again, as these problems may take a while to correct itself. Considering the protracted length of time you have been suffering, your doctor may suggest a form of surgical intervention.