Posted by: leigh-ann | 2010-04-29

ear drum repaired still swollen and painfull after 5 months

HI doc
I had a hole in my ear drum which was repaired in January. The problem is that my ear is still slightly swollen, but hurts when I lie on it. I also still can''t hear 100% with it. I''m concerned that it is taking so long to heal?

Expert ImagezENT Expert

Dear Leigh-Ann

Healing after surgery may be due to a variety of causes:
1. Size of perforation
2. Type of closure used (cartilage graft vs. temporalis facia graft)
3. Original reason for perforation
4. Pre-operative hearing status (ie. ossicular chain involvement)

You should go back to your ENT surgeon for an examination to check the status of the tympanic membrane,
and to see which factors exist that could extend the healing process. The healing process is always different in patients, because of all these factors that vary in these cases.