Question
Posted by: carrie | 2010-07-19

ear discharge

i bought some vvetzyme ear cleaner, antibacterial and have been putting a few drops in each day. the active ingrediant is Triclosan and it seems to smell of tea tree as well. the discharge is much less, and i only needing to clean the ear every second day now, and even then there is very little in the ear. should this be ok?

i dont want to leave my little dog to be unhealthy, but i am a student and as such cant afford vet bills that can be avoided.

as an added interest i have an older daxie ( 15 yrs) who has stage one mitral valve insufficiency. he was diagnosed two years ago and he is still doing really well :) , i have him on vetmedin, fortekor and furosemide. is there a generic for fortekor? it is so expensive but i cant not let my dog have his meds. i know the vetmedin is not available as a generic :(

Hi Carrie

I am not familiar with the product in question. I like to use Epiotic or Otoclean and find these products espectially useful (Non-prescription). I would generally clean the ear with the ear cleaner every 2-3 days and then gradually increase the interval of the cleaning. It can take a period of time before the natural cleaning mechanisms come back so you can persist as long as the dog is not in discomfort. Please follow the instructions of the product carefully and please do not stick cotton wool into the ear canals. If the ears are severely inflammed then you will need to get ear treatment.

Regarding you Daxie. It is difficult to comment on any treatment but you maybe able to put her on another ACE inhibitor (like fortekor) called enalapril (active component). There are many generic brand names for this product. Please discuss with your vet first. They may even give you a prescription to get the product from you chemist or consider purchasing the product online.

1
Posted by: CyberVet | 2010-07-20

Hi Carrie

Reply to CyberVet