Question
Posted by: Y | 2011-03-31

Ear ache - no infection . PLS HELP

HI

I am deaf in my right ear (nerve was damaged by a virus in 2002)

The past 2 weeks I started getting a sligh ear pain, very faint and I didnt pay much attention to it.

Now the last 2 days, I am in extreme pain. My ear is very sore, my jaw is stiff, my neck feels like it wants to explode and is throbbing under the jaw line (where you can feel the pulse) and my teeth are sore. If I touch my ear (inside and out) there is no pain.

At the centre of my neck pain, there is a slightly swollen gland aswell (soft and moveable)

I saw the ENT yesterday and he says it is a neck spasm that is causing all these symptoms. There is no inflammation in my ear at all.

I do suffer from sinusitus (almost chronically)

I know I am under a lot of stress at the moment and I do grind my teeth when I sleep, because I always wake up with a stiff jaw (almost like its locked)

Please help, what can I do to eleviate this pain. I do not have money for a phisiotherapist at the moment and Im only drinking muscle relaxers.

Expert ImagezENT Expert

Dear Y

Earache (otalgia) does not always originate in the ear. It may be coming from somewhere else , and the most likely place is your Tempero Mandibular Joint (TMJ). Your symptoms are suggestive of this as a possible cause. and unfortunately you wil need to see a Maxillo Facial surgeon to diagnose and treat this. Your problem is clearly not diagnosed, or indeed solved, I suggest you discuss this with your ENT. You have excluded an ENT cause, but a diagnosis has not been made.