Question
Posted by: Y | 2011/03/31

Ear Ache - No infection

HI

I am deaf in my right ear (nerve was damaged by a virus in 2002)

The past 2 weeks I started getting a sligh ear pain, very faint and I didnt pay much attention to it.

Now the last 2 days, I am in extreme pain. My ear is very sore, my jaw is stiff, my neck feels like it wants to explode and is throbbing under the jaw line (where you can feel the pulse) and my teeth are sore. If I touch my ear (inside and out) there is no pain.

At the centre of my neck pain, there is a slightly swollen gland aswell (soft and moveable)

I saw the ENT yesterday and he says it is a neck spasm that is causing all these symptoms. There is no inflammation in my ear at all.

I do suffer from sinusitus (almost chronically)

I know I am under a lot of stress at the moment and I do grind my teeth when I sleep, because I always wake up with a stiff jaw (almost like its locked)

Please help, what can I do to eleviate this pain. I do not have money for a phisiotherapist at the moment and Im only drinking muscle relaxers.

Hallo Y
This kind of ear pain often comes from the TM joint between the jaw and the skull. Try using anti-inflammatories like Neurofen, a muscle relaxant like Norflex (or Norflex Co that contains panado too). Try taking Biral 2 three times a day for a calming effect or ask your doctor for a prescription for something stronger if it doesn't help. Do some jaw exercises yourself: http://www.ehow.com/how_2352238_cure-tmj-jaw-exercises.html
Avoid hard/chewy foods for a week (biltong, died fruit, tough meat, lettuce!, apples etc)

1
Posted by: Cyberdoc | 2011/03/31

Hallo Y