Question
Posted by: gemma | 2009/07/01

ear

hi

Sometimes when i lie on my side i hear a sound like a leeking sound in my ear,tick,tick,tick. it happens now and then for months especially when i lie on my left side.what is it.thanx

Expert ImagezENT Expert

Dear Gemma

One would have to examine your ear to assess whether you have wax impaction or something irritating your tympanic membrane. Middle ear fluid could also present with deafness or abnormal sounds.

A tick, tick, tick sound could be tinnitus which is a phantom sound which requires further investigation that include the following:
1. Ear otoscopy
2. An hearing test (audiogram)
3. If the hearing test is abnormal, you might require further imaging studies.