Posted by: Anon | 2009-06-22

Dear doc, i went to my gp on saturday for my ear which was blocked and aching, he said i have an infection that goes until the ear drum and gave me an antibiotic and pain tablets. however the ear seems to be paining now more than ever and i think that the cold weather is making it worse.

Expert ImagezENT Expert

Dear Anon

From your explanation, it sounds as if you are suffering from "outer ear infection" (otitis externa), which is an infection of the skin-lining of the outer ear canal. This is indeed very painful, and generally responds well to local treatment of the infected ear, which usually involves drops or ointment being placed directly in the outer ear canal. As the canal is often swollen, it would be advisable to see an ENT to instill the ointment into the canal. Depending on the cause and severity, oral antibiotics are sometimes given.