hi doc, i went to my gp on saturday for my ear which was blocked adn aching, he said i have an infection that goes until the ear drum and gave me an antibiotic and pain tablets. howver the ear seems to be paining now more than ever and i think that the cold weather is making it worse.

should i go see an ENT?

thanks for the great work!

Dear Anonymous
Let your GP first have another look - he may just need to add something like Celestamine

Posted by: Anxious | 2009-06-16

Have you completed your antibiotic? It is essential to complete the course or the infection can come back in a more virulent form, which can be even more difficult to treat. Phone or go back to your gp - you might need stronger medication. He will know if it is necessary to send you to an ENT. He is more than likely able to treat your problem successfully, and this will save you lots of money if it turns out to be unnecessary for you go to a specialist. These flu type symptoms of whatever sort, seem to be taking a long time to go away, sometimes one needing a 2nd course of antibiotics before the problem finally clears up.! I' ve been sick now for nearly 2 wks with a very bad phlegm cough, had a red sore throat (which is still sore on and off) and blocked ears! .I am now on a 2nd course of antibiotics and cortisone (Pulmison) - my gp seems to think I have mycoplasma-type pneumona, a milder form of pneumonai, also known as " walking pneumonia" ! I will know tomorrow if this is the case from my blood tests. Im guessing my gp knows but is just confirming it with test results. Every time he suspects something he has ALWAYS been right!
I have been coughing my lungs out for over a week and it is finally getting better, thanks to the Pulmison!

Reply to Anxious