Posted by: Anon | 2013-01-25

Can you tell me about dysthymia? Went for my first appointment at a psychiatrist and that''s all he bothered to mention aside from wanting me to make a 2nd appointment to see him next month. Is it normal for a psychiatrist to make a diagnosis without discussing treatment? From what I have read about it now, are there different levels of severity? That''s all I can think of now, that it''s not severe enough to warrant treatment?
I feel crushed at this point, after spending most of my teen years feeling like this and constantly hearing to just get over it, dropping money on a specialist and getting pretty much the same response. It can''t just be how things really are or how most people feel?

Its not good practice for any doctor to make a diagnosis without discussing its nature, implications and general issues of treatment, with the patient. If this became complex and needed even more time, maybe a second appointment could be scheduled for that.
Dysthymia can be difficult to treat but indeed, when not very severe may not need treatment, especially drug treatment, though some CBT style counselling could hlp in managing whatever probelms in life it presents.
Discuss these concerns with him next session, and if he isn't helpful and fully in formative, tell him that and consider a second opinion