Posted by: Emma | 2009-03-06

Hi CS,

I have just been reading an article on Health 24 about dyslexia. My question is: when someone cannot spell well eg pore water into a glass, instead of pour water - does it mean that this person has dyslexia? Reading and comprehension is fine just spelling is a problem.

Just incase there are spelling mistakes here, I am talking about myself. I usually cannot see the spelling mistake myself. Only when it is pointed out to me I can sometimes correct it.

Thank you for your time.

What you're describing may not strictly be Dyslexia as such, but there are actually many other "Dys"s --- Dyspraxia, Dysmusia, Lordy there are many --- all forms of difficulty in carrying out coordinated activities other people take for granted. There can be problems in spelling as such, or in pronunciation, and so on. Careful assessment by a psychologist or neurologist interested and experienced in such matters can clarify the problem, and some psychological treatments can help to reduce the problem