Question
Posted by: mary | 2011/01/10

dysentry

I was hospitalised and informed I had developed dysentry - is this also a form of food poisoning.

I am also taking so long to get my normal energy levels back

Dear Mary
I am sorry to hear that you developed dysentery. This is an inflammatory condition of the colon resulting in severe diarrhoea which is sometimes also bloody. Dysentery is caused by bacterial, protozoan or viral infections. A common organism that can cause dysentery in non-tropical areas, is called Shigella. In tropical regions amoebic dysentery is more common. These organisms can be present in water or food, but are not caused by spoilt foods. You may have contracted the dysentery from drinking water or eating foods that were contaminated with Shigella or an amoeba, but were otherwise unspoilt. Dysentery is a particularly debilitating condition, which can even prove fatal is not treated and you need to give your body a chance to recover. Rest and take things easy and you will find that you will recover your energy, but it can take quite a few weeks. If you do not recover your energy please consult your dr because you may require some additional treatment or a supplement.
Holding thumbs that you do feel much better soon.

1

Dear Mary