Question
Posted by: Tarryn | 2011/05/22

*Dying* to be thin :(

I have always been overweight and cannot remember a time when I was not obsessing about my body, food or the next diet of self destruction. By the time I turned 16 I peaked at 108kg. I was depressed and really badly wanted to lose weight. Slowly (over 3 years) with the help of healthy eating and exercise I managed to shed almost 40kg. I am now 21 years old and I weight 69kg (which for my height of 1.76cm is a healthy weight) I have maintained this weight for over a year now but I am contantly depressed and food obessed. I am terrified of eating pr anything associated with food. I am not anorexic because I love to eat, I am not bullemic because I can''t throw up- but i binge eat (to the point of feeling ill) and then starve myself or exercise to regain " feeling good" . I have no self confidence, every single meal, every single second of every single day is a contaanst struggle for me. I feel that my problem is so deep that it will never be fixed. I dont know where to turn. I miss out on so many things because I don''t feel thin enough, or i dont want to put on weight. I am physically exhausted all the time and sometimes I just feel I cant go on. I live in Cape Town (rondebosh) and I am looking for help. Can u offer me any advice that might be helpful. I am desperate.

Expert ImageEating Disorders Expert

Hi Tarryn,
It is remarkable that you have managed to lose all the excess weight that you did, and that you know sit at a very comfortable and normal weight for your height. However, it appears that you remain dissatisfied at your now normal weight as you remain obsessed. I would suggest that you need to see two (possibly) three professionals. First, you should resume seeing a dietician and preferably one that specialises in eating disorders so that you will be fully understood for the obsessive nature you carry around food. Second, I would suggest that you enter into therapy. You live in Rondebosch, so there are a number of specialists who I could recommend you to in your area. Send me an email and I will organize that for you. Your obsessive nature and possible depression is something that might also respond to medication. Once you have seen a psychologist, I would suggest youy possibly see a psychiatrist for an assessment for medication. There are some antidepressants that will also target your obsessive behaviour and thoughts. Hope to hear from you.
Regards,
Graham

3
Posted by: Eating Disorders and Obesity Expert | 2011/05/29

Hi Tarryn,
Regards,
Graham

Reply to Eating Disorders and Obesity Expert
Posted by: kasandra | 2011/05/26

Hi Tarryn

The other option (dont know if Graham spesialise in this) is to go for CBT Therapy - Cognitive behaviour therapy.

I know where you are stuck and its horrible. I think when you are overweight and then get to your ideal weigth you can''t relax sometimes cause you still have that " fat"  person inside.

Reply to kasandra
Posted by: friend | 2011/05/23

Hi Tarryn. Sorry to hear about your struggles. I understand where you are coming from. Why not contact Graham Alexander who is a very good therapist specialising in eating disorders. He practices at Crescent Clinic in Claremont (see his bio,so it is very close to you. You took the first step in asking for help. So take the next step which is cotacting him and setting up an appointment. If you are worried because you might not feel comfortable talking to a male, please take my advice. I never thought I would be comfortable speaking to a male therapist. I highly recommend him as he knows exactly where we are coming from (those suffering from eating disorders. He genuinely cares and most importantly he does not judge. His email address is : graalex@iafrica.com. All the best.

Reply to friend