Question
Posted by: Col | 2009/10/13

DVT - Nattozimes DVT Tablets or Aspirin?

Hi - I am flying from Durban to Jhb / Singapore / Brisbane on 21st October and would please like to know whether it would be better for me to take the above tablets (I have not taken them previously when travelling) or my usual half an Aspirin daily from 3 days before flying, during, and up to 3 days after completing my flight to prevent DVT. I am a 54 year-old menopausal woman who is on Femigel HRT and my late Mom had two Varicose Vein operations - I do not have Varicose Veins although I do have Broken Capillaries in my legs. I exercise 1/2 hour on my Treadmill a minimum of three and up to a maximum of 5 times per week. Thank-you for your advice.

Expert ImageTravel expert

On reading the information that you have supplied you wrote that you have already used 4 tablets of the Zopiclone and have not indicated any side affects experienced - usually this is a short term medication and there should be no problem with you taking them.

In principle, the sleeping tablet should be fine to take, as you have indicated for travel, but we would suggest taking the tablet a little earlier on the night before the wedding in order for the possible side effects e.g. sleepiness to wear off - the half life of the medication is usually between 5-7 hours depending on age and weight and am sure you would feel more ‘refreshed’ having had a good nights rest.

Many of the long haul flights have very good information with regards frequent mobilisation and actually provide an ‘exercise’ program to follow during flights. Please be aware that aspirin is no longer advocated for use to prevent of Deep Vein Thrombosis during flights and would advocate t

1
Posted by: Travel expert | 2009/10/16

Reply to Travel expert