Posted by: Mo | 2008-11-20

DVT and pregnancy

Hi I' m 35 and have had 2 episodes of DVT in the last 6 years. I am currently on warfarin and want to know if I can still try for a baby as I have been advised that pregnancy increses the risk of DVT. If so, can I take warfarin while pregnant? My doctor had advised that he will probably take me off the warfarin next month

Hallo Mo
You can get pregnant, even though the risk for DVT's are higher, you just need very careful monitoring. One can't use Warfarin in pregnancy as it can cause birth abnormalities but can use heparin injections just under the skin - you learn to inject your self ( like a diabetic) on the stomach and on the leg with a very thin needle. Discuss this with your gyne before you try to fall pregnant.