Posted by: Maryna | 2009-08-03

DVT and Excercise

I have DVT. I had a pulmonary embolism 5 years ago and my legs keep on forming clots, I am on Warfarin for life. I am quite overweight however I am following a healthy eating program with some good results, now I wish to exercise as well to help me loose more weight.
I want to know what exercises can I do without affecting my condition, walking far, running and skipping rope almost feels like a death sentence for me, for afterwards my leg wants to explode. So I need to do something that will assist me and make me healthier (slimmer). Also if I am able to shed all my weight will my condition improve?

HI Maryna

To answer the last one - yes, it will help. There are a many other reasons to exercise as well, of course, so I think you shoudl go for it.

The impact exercises, where you are forced to stand or weight bear for a long time are going to be difficult. I'd say swimming is a best option to begin with, and probably should form the basis of your training. You can walk short distances, with breaks between, that should be fine - we know that say 5 minutes walking, repeated 6 times a day, has pretty much the same health benefits as walking 30 minutes in one go, so make small practical changes like walking to the shops, parking 5 minutes away and then walking,taking stairs etc. These things will help.

but for exercise, swimming is a good option, and I'd suggest that. Finally diet is so important - if you want weight loss, then diet is actually more effective than exercise. So it's really important that you keep up your eating programme, it's helping you so far and so keep it up!