Question
Posted by: Anel | 2009-04-14

DVT

Dear Dr Bets, I posted a question last week re: pain in my calf. It was indeed a DVT. The physician could not find a cause for the DVT. I did not see him on my last day in hospital and have a few questions. I forgot to mention that my father and grandmother died in their sleep due to a heart attack, and that my grandfather died due to a pulmonary embolism - is this a risk factor? Also, is it absolutely neccesary that I stop the Minerva even though I am on the anti-coagulants?
My leg is very painful - for how long can I expect it to be painful?
They gave me a stocking to wear - for how long do I have to wear it?
Thanks very much for your help.

Dear Anel
Yes you must stop Minerva (and not use any other oral contaception tablets) immediately. Rather consider alternative contraception like an IUD, condoms or Mirena. You need to wear the stocking for at least 1 year, or you can develop post phlebitic syndrome - chronic venous insufficiency of the leg - causing chronic swelling and pain. It sounds as if you have a risky family history and it may be worth your while to have yourself tested for hereditary thrombotic disease (ask your doctor - it is a blood test)
The leg may be painful for a few weeks as it is caused by swelling and inflammation of the area that does not get good bloodflow due to the thrombosis.
See http://hcd2.bupa.co.uk/fact_sheets/mosby_factsheets/Deep_Vein_Thrombosis.html