Question
Posted by: Sam | 2010/09/10

Dutch hound doing his thing on the kids'' beds.

A friend''s dutch hound has since he was small, lived outside and did his " thing"  (passing of stools) outside. The past year, after my friend got divorced, he let the dog stay inside. Now the dog passes his stools on the kids'' bed or on the carpet. The house is open, locked with a safety gate, so he can come and go as he pleases. Even when they are at home, he will come in from outside, head straight for the girl''s or boy''s room, jump on the bed and does his thing their. What can they do to discourage him from doing it or what can they do to help him realise he has to do his thing outside?

Hi Sam

I think this dog needs some corrective training. There appears to be no control over this aberrant behaviour. The most logical thing would be to keep the dog from entering the house esp the upstairs - use a baby gate on the stairs to limit access. Please seek the advise of a qualified dog behaviourist as there is most likely an underlying cause to this behaviour

2
Posted by: Chill | 2010/09/11

If this dog grew up outside, then quite plainly he hasn''t been housetrained. It''s not aberrant behaviour - he uses his ''output'' to mark the territory he regards as his own, and he doesn''t know he isn''t supposed to do this.

He needs housetraining just like a puppy would, but on steroids - it''s going to be hard work, and as the cv says, denying him access to where he likes to ''go'' is Step 1. Please tell your friend to remember that the dog is not being ''naughty'' and that he must not be punished as such - he must be spoken to sternly if he gets it wrong, and put outside, and conversely if he goes outside, he must be praised and made a fuss of.

What''s a ''dutch hound'', by the way? Or do you mean a dachshund?

Reply to Chill
Posted by: CyberVet | 2010/09/10

Hi Sam

Reply to CyberVet