Question

Dust Mites

Are wooden laminate floors in the home better than carpets for controlling dust mites/allergies ?

Expert ImageEnviroHealth expert

Surprisingly enough, wooden or other smooth-surface floors are not necessarily better than carpets in this respect. A clean carpet actually helps to trap dust, mites and other allergens, and keeps them out of indoor air. But only if you keep the carpet clean by vacuuming it regularly (at least once a week - I'd do more if you have allergies), and occasionally getting in professional cleaners. Professional cleaning and maintenance of all flooring - carpet or no carpet - is considered important in controlling allergies. So go for the floor you prefer, and keep it clean at all times so it doesn't gather dust.

Steam-cleaning - not just of carpets but upholstery, and hot-water laundering of bed linen, is also really helpful for controlling dust mites.

1
Posted by: Skippy | 2009-06-29

Oh yes, it is. I find tiles and wooden floors, although need to be swept on a daily basis, does not allow dust to settle the way it infiltrates carpets.

It' s so much more healthy. My hubby suffers from allergies, and our entire house has either tiles / wooden flooring. Since then, he hasn' t suffered.

Reply to Skippy