Question
Posted by: susan | 2012-05-31

duschhund

first week in may i took my dog penny to be spayed. eight days later in the morning she started bleeding. we rushed her back to our vet. they kept her their for three days. they never ex-rayed her the only inserted a swab into the vagina and gave her some medication, five days later she started bleeding again we had to rush het to an emergency vet, who gave her a blood transfusion. later in the afternoon she operated on her , and according to her the blood came from the cervix. she stopped the bleeding but later that night she passed away.i want to know if the first vet operated on her would she still be alive today. thank you.

Hi Susan

I'm very sorry to hear of your loss and the circumstances under which it happened. Unfortunately, I cannot pass comment on the protocol by which the vets undertook to spay and resolve the encountered problem. The general public perceive that spaying a dog is a routine procedure without any risk - this is partly due to the fact the the client is not informed by the vet post surgery of any complications that have arisen. I have experienced bleeders during surgery but it is imperative that you double check if not triple check your work prior to closing the skin. If there is a problem then I take my time to resolve the problem. In addition I always inform the client of the issue and advise then to contact me ASAP of any further problems that may arise.

I hope this helps.

Kind regards

Angus Campbell