Question
Posted by: priya | 2011/10/19

DUROMINE &  ELTROXIN

HI
im 20kg overweight and tried many diets but nothing has helped so far.
my gp recommended duromine &  eltroxin(although tyroid test is normal). he says eltroxin will speed up my metabolisman and its safe to use for a month only....
im reading on the internet that its dangerous....
pls help.....what should i do....spoke to doctor again he sayin its safe for short term.....
do u think its safe...will it help weightloss...
doc thinks should lose abt 8 kg per month.....is this true...

many thanks for all your help

Dear Priya
I am not in favour of using a hormone replacement therapy like Eltroxin if your thyroid hormone test results were normal. The thyroid is like the conductor of the orchestra of the body and one should not mess with it if possible. Instead of stimulating your metabolism with a hormone, I would suggest that you rather join a good gym and start doing as much aerobic or cardio exercise as possible. Discuss such a programme with the trainers so that they help you to start gradually and then increase how much exercise you do as you lose weight and get fitter. The Duromine which is an appetite suppressant will help you to eat less, which should also promote weightloss. Use a balanced, low-fat, high-fibre diet (click on 'Diet & Nutrition' at the top of this page, then on 'Healthy Diets' and then on 'Slimming Diet' for a copy of such a diet), or consult a registered dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area), for an individual slimming diet prescription. If you are still in doubt about the thyroid hormone, then get a second medical opinion just to make sure before you take hormones.
Take care

4
Posted by: Anonymous | 2016/01/11

I am currently using eltroxin 200mg per day as my thyroid has been removed 7 years ago. I am struggling to loose weight. Is it safe for me to use duromine with my eltroxin?

Posted by: Bernadette | 2014/11/20

We recently moved overseas and had to see a Dr to get back onto Eltroxin. I had used Duromine 30mg with Eltroxin and lost 25kg, however my Dr does not want to prescribe Duromine and just gave me Eltroxin 100mcg which I am taking 2 a day. My levels are as follows: Free T4: 12.0 pmol/L ( 7.0-16.0 ) TSH: 3.13 mU/L ( 0.3-5.0 ) He said the above is normal so not sure anymore and I have picked up 7kg and eat healthy and exercise?

Reply to Bernadette
Posted by: melissa | 2011/10/19

hi, ive used duromine 30mg in the past and i must say for a short while it did help me....i have tried eltroxin.........and i have also put on alot of weight and cant seem to get rid of the excess weight and i need help.....pls help.....for some reason i have been enjoying food and just eat anything thats in front of me....how do i stop....i have to stop in fact i want to stop and shed some weight....pls help.....thanks

Reply to melissa

Dear Priya
Take care