Question
Posted by: MikeK | 2011-07-11

Duromine

Hi Doc,in Jan my wife acquired a pack over the counter although she is small and only weighs ave 55kg.She has since been using them and besides becoming very thin,her personality has changed,although I know she is using the drug ,she denies it ,family members dont seem to believe me,I am not sure of the side affects,but she seems confused ,agro etc,Please Help

Expert ImageAddictions expert

Hi Mike
Thank you for your post.
Duromine, an appetite suppressant, is a schedule five medication that can only be sold on prescription. It is unlawful for any pharmacy to dispense without a valid prescription. The side effects are insomnia, hyperactivity, euphoria, sweating and great irritability.
Duromine was banned several years ago in the UK, USA and Western Europe as it also increases cardio vascular accident. People who are suffering from clinical depression will often self medicate as they find they have extra energy, however this is a highly addictive drug and I would suggest your wife seeks help without delay.
Duromine is only prescribed to clinically obese people, as your wife is petite at only 55kgs I would say that she is severely body dysmorphic and would do well to get professional advise at an Eating Disordered Clinic.
If you would like to discuss this further, please do not hesitate to call 021 790 7779
Wishing you the warmest of regards
The Harmony Team

2
Posted by: michele | 2011-08-29

I have been using duromine for a few months now and I feel very different and I also suffer from Manic depression. Is it harmful?

Reply to michele
Posted by: Addictions expert | 2011-07-12

Hi Mike
Thank you for your post.
Wishing you the warmest of regards
The Harmony Team

Reply to Addictions expert