Question
Posted by: plump | 2009-04-15

duromine 15mg, week3

Hello DietDoc
I have about 10kg'  s to lose. My GP prescribed duromine 15mg to help suppress my huge appetite. I work out at gym about 4 - 6 times a week and still feel no difference in my appetite.
I'  ve been on for 3 weeks today.
I try eat low GI foods and avoid sugar and salt.
Thing is, i have lost no weight and i'  m still constantly hungry or craving "  something"  anything...
I don'  t want to spend another consultation fee, is there another medication that i can get to help - that will actually work - as the duromine is not.
I know that it' s all in the foods you eat, but i just can' t control myself when it comes to eating. I try not have " junk"  or " sugary foods"  in the house, but that makes me resort to spoons of peanut butter and milo, out the jar. I' m a disgrace.
I have a healthy eating, low GI plan and can' t afford a dietician but i just can' t grasp the facts.
Please help!!!! Your advice is appreciated. Thank you.

Dear Plump
By now the Duromine should certainly have suppressed your appetite. I am not in favour of over-the-counter slimming pills and potions because most of them also cost a lot of money, have many negative side-effects and don't do their job. It would be desirable for you to consult a dietitian because someone needs to check if the diet you are using is low-GI and contains sufficient carbohydrates to provide fuel for your strenuous exercise programme and prevent cravings. Your cravings may indicate that your diet is too low in energy or contains too little carbohydrate or you may have a serotonin deficiency. I think you should consult a clinical dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area), because you will otherwise not achieve your goals.
Keep up the good work in the gym as this is at least helping to keep your weight under control.

1
Posted by: ABS | 2009-04-16

Try 2 boiled egg in morning for hunger. It is easy to take to work. It helps for me.
Then also try " Manna"  2 per meal. See them on the web.

Reply to ABS