Question
Posted by: gill | 2010/01/12

duromine 15mg

Could you tell me if this is a bad drug to go on if i want to try and fall pregnant in a few months time (1st child)? I would also like to know if increasing your heart rate due to exercise is a problem being on this type of drug?

thanks
gill

Dear Gill
Duromine is an appetite suppressant. The following side-effects can occur with Duromine (which contains phentermine as its active ingredient), as listed in my copy of MIMS: pulmonary hypertension, central nervous system effects including psychotic episodes and hallucinations, cardiovascular effects, gastrointestinal disturbances, problems with urination, rash, impotence or changes in libido, facial oedema and blurred vision. If you do exercise and find that you develop erratic heartbeats or palpitations then you must stop using Duromine. If you do not develop any of the listed side-effect AND are still using adequate contraception, then you can probably use the Duromine. However, the moment you stop using contraception and start trying for a baby, you MUST stop using ANY drugs (pharmacological and herbal) including products you purchase over the counter, unless prescribed by a medical dr who has been informed that you are trying to fall pregnant. Most medications and esp slimming pills (and all alcohol) can be harmful to the unborn child, esp during the first 3 months - a time when many women are not even aware of the fact that they are pregnant.
Good luck with falling pregnant

1

Dear Gill
Good luck with falling pregnant