Posted by: darry | 2009-03-06

duration of emergency contraceptive

soon after my girlfriend finished her period, we had sex and the condom broke... the next morning she took Norlevo emergency contraception (the guy told us to take both pills at once) ... that was a week ago.. she is now showing period-like bleeding, but is not due for her period for another 3weeks....
how do we know if the emergency contraception has worked?
how long does the contraceptive process take?
she is not on the pill... how long will it take for a pregnancy test to be accurate?

also... four days after taking Norlevo, she received penisilin antibiotics from her doctor for a cold...will this affect the contraception?

thank you..
kind regards,
a concerned darry

The bleed is likely from the morning after pill. You can do a pregnancy test 16 days after the intercourse if you want to be sure it has worked. The antibiotics would not affect the morning after pill.

Posted by: Me | 2009-03-06

I also took the morning after pill 2 weeks ago,and started having my period a week later,so i think its normal,by then if there was a egg,it would have come down with the blood.Takes i think 48 hour for fertilization.Why dont you ask her to go on the pill from now on please,do you want to worry about this every time?

Reply to Me