Posted by: diva | 2008-12-07

duphaston - safe/ unsafe

Im 6w 5d pergnant. had an ultrasound at 6w as i had minor spotting. doc detected a heartbeat and put me on puregest (400mg twice a day). this stopped the bleeding but made me very unwell. so i took a second opinion. the new doc has changed the medication to duphaston (10mg once a day). howveer iv read some very harmful side effects of duphaston on the net (jaundice/ cleft palate/ masculine features in female fetus or even death of fetus). is this all true? id duphaston a safe drug?

You are right that side effects have been reported, but these have been in isolated cases and some of these things have been reported in women not on Duphaston, so it is not clear whether Duphaston really causes any of them.
On the other hand, it seems more and more clear that Duphaston is not particularly useful in situations such as yours to prevent a miscarriage. The UK has withdrawn the drug from the market a few months ago, becuase the research suggests that it is not useful. This is a new development. You should discuss this with your doctor.