Question
Posted by: Mashudu | 2011-05-03

dull chest pain

Dear Dr,

I am 38 years old, 156cm tall and currently weigh 103kg. I joined Curves gym and attend 3 times a week since February, I walk twice a week and I am on healthy calorie restricted eating plan. My blood pressure is normal 110/75, and sugar is 4.6 and have an elevated cholesterol of 5.4.

To date I have lost 4.5kg and my esting pulse has improved from 106 to 90 and I feel much better. Prior to making all these changes I was sick for six months with excessive sweating, terrible headaches, left breast pain, left facial and arm pain and chest pain.

I was XRayed, Brain CT Scan, Mammogram, non stress ECG, EEG and tested full blood count-thyroid and CReactive Protein. All was found to be ok my doctor and the specialist doctors.

I was given ketoflam and amitrypiline for 3 months and i am now off them since February. Initially the meds seemed not work until I started supplementing with Radical Cal/Mag and pain went away.

For the last two weeks the dull left breast/chest pain has come back. I am not affected at all during exercising except when going out of breadth if i over exert. I notice it more during eating or when I bend over and when I go to bed in the evenings. I sometimes worry that my heart is about to fail!

Doctor, would you recommend that I go for stress ECG? After all these extensive tests what else could be wrong that was not picked-up seeing that the pain is back? Your help will be very much appreciated.

By the way Dr I am a female non smoker. Both my parents have high blood and my Dad is diabetic, my elder brother died of kidney failure at 23.

Expert ImageCardiologist

Hi Mashudu.

Obviously you are overweight, but being a young female non-smoker, with normal blood pressure and no diabetes, your risk of getting coronary heart disease is very low. Also, the pain you describe does not sound at all like heart pain.( It sounds like what we call a chest wall syndrome, that is, the pain is from something in the chest wall - muscles between ribs, etc - not the heart!) In addition stress ECG's are very unreliable, especially in people like yourself who are at low risk.. We can be very confident, just from what you tell me, that your pain is not from the heart.

For all these reasons a stress ECG is not necessary, and will not be particularly helpful for you.

My advice would be to continue with the healthy eating, exercise and weight loss program you have started. As you lose more and more weight you will feel better and better. All credit to you, it is not easy but worth it in the long run

1
Posted by: Cardiologist | 2011-05-11

Hi Mashudu.

Reply to Cardiologist