Question
Posted by: Anita | 2012/03/20

Dulcolax

I want to take Dulcolax but if I read the description it says not to take it longer as 5 days. I am chronic constipated and want to take it longer. What will be the side effects if I take it for 1 year

Expert ImagePharmacist

Hi Anita

Long term use of Dulcolax is not recommended. Dulcolax is recommended for the short-term treatment of constipation. The use of laxatives on a long-term basis has evoked controversy. Concern has been raised previously about potential enteric toxicity from contact laxatives, although recent studies have not confirmed adverse effects. Prolonged, excessive use may also make your constipation worse in the long-term, as your gut can become reliant on the laxative.

1
Posted by: pharmacist | 2012/03/21

Hi Anita

Reply to pharmacist