Question
Posted by: Viola | 2012-01-30

Duaghter afraid of sleeping alone

I wonder if you might have an answer. I have a four year old daughter who is scared of sleeping alone. She is so scared she even cries and says it''s fine if we hit her, but she can''t go alone to bed. I don''t know what happened and she won''t tell us because lately she won''t even watch cartoons that has monstors or witches in it. Last year she watched the cartoon Tangled with me at the movies, and she loved it, but when the movie came on MNET she ran out of the TV room and screamed histarically for me to switch it off. The other day i changed the channel and watched Hulk, but when she came in she got so scared, she took the remote and switched off the TV and it took us 3hrs to calm her down.

Should we take her to a professional for advice and can you reccommend who

Expert ImageSleep Expert

When you are 4 years old, the world is a scary, incomprehensible place, and many children go through a phase of having all sorts of fears.

However, this sounds a bit extreme - it is certainly affecting her normal functioning. I would definitely suggest that you arrange for her to be seen by a developmental (child) psychologist.