Question
Posted by: WhatDoYouThink? | 2011/04/08

DSTV a waste of money?

If you have DSTV, do you think it is worth it?

I have a pretty high end DSTV package, including the ability to record films or programs and replay them, so the physical decoder/hardware has some sort of hard drive within it that can record. Honestly what is the point of even marketing the ability to record programs or films when DSTV repeats everything they broadcast within a two week framework? I mean why should I bother recording anything if they are just going to replay it anyway 15 times over the course of the next few weeks? They played Pulp Fiction at least 10 times within a month, and that was across multiple channels!

Why is the content so poor? They have more than enough money because their service isnt cheap, WHY is the content sub standard? I mean have you ever watched history channel or national geographic overseas? They have fresh new interesting content all the time. It is clear DSTV content management is per program not per channel.

Finally WHY WHY WHY cant we watch new movies on DSTV? This ability overseas in England for example has been available for more than 10 years, you just pick a current flim (thats on the movie ciricuit) give your credit card details pay a few pounds and you can watch it at home. Why hasn''t DSTV made a deal with the movie distributors?

Perhaps the questioner is aware of the years of high-quality TV reviews I wrote here in H24, when working with the folks at DSTV and elsewhere
I strongly suspect DSTV makes more profit out of the hardware than the programming, which without doubt has been seriously degraded in recent years. It is puzzling that the version of many of the multi-national channels we receive is very VERY much more feeble than those seen in other countries. We no longer see most great new movies, and if one or two are chosen for publicity purposes, they are shown only a couple of times, where as the dreck of the cinema world is repeated endlessly.
And DISH magazine frankly lies about content, ignoring the occasional really good film ( I suspect its authors wouldn't know a good film if it bit them on the ankle ) and falsely listing as "Premiere" showings, films they have shown endlessly on DSTV and all other free channels as well.
And some of the taff are incredibly cack-handed, interrupting a program in mid-sentence to cram in yet another of the endless ads for DSTV, often urging us to watch the very show we were actually watching before we were so rudely interrupted ! And then resuming, abruptly, either with an overlap we've already seen, or having missed a minute or two crucial to the plot, during the inane ads.
DSTV is firstly devoted totally to profits and no viewers. Then it is determined by all means to build market share in the rest of Africa, and will always cheerfully ignore the interests of SA viewers ( even though they pay most of the profits ) to encourage a handful of new viewers in Chad or wherever. And there seems after management changes in recent years to be an unfortunate preponderance of women with a highly old-fashioned view of wone, hence the mass of bad rom-coms and bad chick-flicks, and the ignoring of materials actually interesting to intelligent and independent women.
There's no point in e-mailing your concerns to DSTV as they would pay no attention whasoever. Only correspondence from sycophants is welcomed

9

Posted by: WhatDoYouThink? | 2011/04/09

Molly your like a little spring, all wound up and just waiting to be let go. Calm down. This is only the internet, it''s not that serious : )

Reply to WhatDoYouThink?
Posted by: Molly | 2011/04/09

OK well if this is causing mental health issues, then the answer is simple- CANCEL YOUR DSTV SUBSCRIPTION.

Reply to Molly
Posted by: WhatDoYouThink? | 2011/04/09

Yeah, but, yeah read the other posts here, there''s nothing wrong with this post. And in relation to mental health there have been numerous studies that t.v. can cause mental health issues so it is valid!

Reply to WhatDoYouThink?
Posted by: Molly | 2011/04/09

I agree with Maria- this is hardly a question for CS. This particular section is for people suffering some sort of issue, not for people pondering the use of DSTV. Maybe you should email them rather?

Reply to Molly
Posted by: WhatDoYouThink? | 2011/04/09

Cat Lady that is one thing about DSTV, any decent sporting event happening anywhere and you can watch it, so the sport coverage is great, but like you said if it takes up all a persons time and gets in the way of a relationship then thats another negative.

Reply to WhatDoYouThink?
Posted by: WhatDoYouThink? | 2011/04/09

Compared to most of the posts here this can''t be that bad, maybe CS has DSTV and can share an opinon.

Reply to WhatDoYouThink?
Posted by: Cat Lady | 2011/04/08

Whethr the question is asked on Cybershrink or not doesn t matter. I hate DSTV Thereare some programs that are good but there are endless repeats and it is more for the soccer, rugby, cricket, tennis et al freak than for any other reason. My husband does not want to go to movies at all - I like movies on a big screen. Saturdays we made a pledge that he can watch as much sport as he likes and I do my own thing. Go to the Mall, see a movie on a my own, meet friends, have coffee or just read in another room etc but now Sundays are becoming the same as Saturdays and I HATE it. We never do something together. Before my hip replacement I used to hike with friends but I can''t go up a slope yet even if it is just about a year ago and I do go to gym 3x a week to strengthen muscles. I still feel we would go for a drive and walk on a beach with the puppy (the 3 much older dogs are happy to have a short walk) but he won''t budge and I feel life is passing us by. He doesn ''t watch sport with friends eithr, it is just him and the dogs and I want to have some adventure and fun whilst we still can but then I hear pertrol is so expensive and we have to use a car as there is no bus or train servce near us. So yes I hate DSTV - there is only so much reading you can do. Feel like ships that pass in the night. We have been married for 35 years and I for one am fed up that the TV is constantly on, day and night. He still works and I swich it off when he ius gone but lunchtime it is back again and in the evenings. I can scream! DON''T GET DSTV!

Reply to Cat Lady
Posted by: Maria | 2011/04/08

I''m curious, why did you post this question to a Psychiatrist? Perhaps one of the Talk forums, like Man Talk or even the Parenting forum might have been more appropriate?

I never watch tv so I can''t comment on DSTV. I can tell you that I find a good book a lot more enjoyable... and it only repeats if you want it to.

Reply to Maria